Do you want to lessen the baby blues during your postpartum time?
The placenta contains your own natural hormones and is perfectly made from your body, for your body. Experts agree that the placenta retains hormones. Reintroducing them to your system is believed to ease postpartum and menopausal hormonal fluctuations.
Why should I take placenta capsules?
Your baby’s placenta, contained in capsule form, is believed to, contain your own natural hormones, be perfectly made for you, balance your system, replenish depleted iron, give you more energy, lessen bleeding postnatal, been shown to increase milk production, help you have a happier postpartum period, speeds up the return of uterus to pre-pregnancy state, and be helpful during menopause. So I ask, Why not?
Eighty percent of women experience some sort of postnatal mood disorder, the mildest of which is called the “baby blues”. Symptoms of the baby blues include weepiness, sadness and anxiety, and these negative emotions can last for the first several weeks of the new baby’s life. With proper preparation, the majority of women can avoid the baby blues.
During a normal vaginal delivery a new mother will lose at least one eighth to one tenth of her body’s blood supply, with cesarean section births blood loss can be significantly more. Losing a large amount iron so quickly can cause anemia, leaving a new mum feeling tired, faint and exhausted. The blood needs high supplies of iron to carry oxygen to the cells – low supplies of oxygen leave your cells starving and less able to heal after trauma. The placenta benefits the new mother by supplying incredibly rich meaty iron, amino acids and essential fats which we believe is the be the perfect replenishment following the ordeal of birth.
The most important nutrients found in rich supply in the placenta include:
- Iron – essential for oxygen absorbtion in the cells
- vitamins B6 – aids in the making of antibodies
- Vitamin E – for healing damaged skin cells
- Oxytocin hormone – essential for facilitating birth and breastfeeding, for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others and is often referred to as the “love” hormone.
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) – responsible for reducing stress levels
- Cytokins – Fibroblasts that trigger cell metabolism healing and replacing damaged cells and tissue
- Gonadotrophin – the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
- Prolactin – promotes lactation
- Interferon – stimulates the immune system to protect against infection
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone – boosts energy and helps recover from stressful events
- Cortisone – combats stress and unlocks stores of energy
- Prostaglandins – anti-inflammatory
- Hemoglobin – replenishes iron deficiency and anemia
- Gammaglobulin – immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections-
- Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XIII – stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
During the encapsulation of your placenta I use methods that adhere to Traditional Chinese Medicine. Before being dried, the placenta is prepared by steaming it using herbs that lend their healing properties to the placenta and benefit a postpartum mother. The placenta is then dehydrated for 8-12 hours. Then it will be ground into a fine power and encapsulated, and when properly stored, the capsules can be used long-term. The Raw dehydrated method is similar, just not using any herbs or steaming.
I am happy to process the placenta in your home if you wish. I do charge slightly extra for this convenience. This is perfect for Mama’s who are having a home birth or a birth center birth. During the first visit, I spend about two hours preparing the placenta for the drying phase, and then leave the placenta to finish drying overnight. The next day, I will return to complete the encapsulation step, which takes about one hour. You can begin taking the capsules right away for maximum postpartum benefits.
With some mothers I leave some of the placenta raw so they can make it into a smoothie. I do this within the first hour or two after the baby is born. It helps with that initial energy boost and helps slow the bleeding. This can be done in the home or hospital and then the processing with take place in your home.
In addition to turning your placenta into capsules, I am also offering placenta tinctures! Placenta tincture is an added bonus in that it can be used in addition to and long after the capsules are gone. By tincturing a small piece of the placenta in a high grade alcohol, you can increase the length and benefits of your placenta for both mother and child. The tincture can be used in any time of trauma, transition, emotional distress and for mother later in life during menopause and even turned into a homeopathic remedy!
It is recommended to allow the placenta to steep for at least six weeks before use. The tincture is very shelf-stable if kept in a cool dark place such as a cupboard, and will last for many, many years.
- 7 drops of tincture can be put in a glass of water and consumed by the mother during times of transition, trauma, hormonal fluctuations, etc. after her placenta pills are gone. Some women have reported using this placenta tincture to successfully treat the symptoms of postpartum depression, PMS and menopause.
- 3 – 5 drops can be given in water to the child when they are sick, getting sick or in a time of physical or emotional transition. It can be given to a sibling as well but ideally, each child would have their own placenta tincture.
- 4oz=$40 (lasts about 3-7 years)
- 8oz+$60 (lasts about 8-15 years)
Is your placenta in your birth plan?
I can help you prepare for this. It is yours and you are legally entitled to have it in your possession from the time of it leaving your body to the time it goes to your home.
- Birth Clients: $25 taken off any fee listed below.
- Placenta encapsulation only $230-260
- Placenta Tincture $40-60
- Placenta Slave $45
- Placenta Chocolate truffles $35
- Raw Placenta $100
The information on this page has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The services I offer are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Families who choose to utilize the services on this page take full responsibility for researching and using the remedies.